Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Scientific Method

As mentioned in ‘About Me’, I used to be a scientist.   It was recently suggested I miss the laboratory more than I let on.  I don’t.  Though I concede I miss the cause and effect simplicity, and perhaps that is now translating into my daily activities (outside of the day job).
Wikipedia (the non-scientific source of a definition) defines a scientist as one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge, and, in a more restricted sense, a scientist is an individual who uses the scientific method.
The scientific method can now be found on my kitchen bench in the form of a biga (I now bake traditional ciabatta), a yoghurt culture (I now make yoghurt), empty jam jars (I now make jam), and muslin for draining ricotta (I now make cheese).  The scientific method can be found in the garage, where various piece of furniture are being revived.  The scientific method can be found in the garden, where the scientific method of stubbornness means I persist in planting probably toxic plants, which the dog continues to eat.


Truth be told, the scientific method was something I loved1 and I am pleased that I have fallen for 'it' once again.
Foot note:
1 when I was five, I created the ‘ultimate weedkiller’ for my dad.  I sprayed it on the weeds and declared that night my father would never have to weed again… I was almost right, the next day the entire lawn was burnt… the scientific method.

No comments: